Why Switch To Solar Energy: Top 5 Benefits For Your Home
Widely said to be one of the best alternatives to fossil fuels, solar energy is considered to be the future when it comes to meeting the world’s energy requirements! As one of the main types of renewable energy, residential solar power installations are becoming more and more common. Businesses are also adopting solar energy as their main source of power.
If you have been hearing all the hype about solar energy, but are yet to be sold on its many benefits, you have come to the right place. Read on below to find out more about the main advantages of switching to solar.
What Is Solar Energy?
Solar energy can be defined as energy drawn from the sun, which is then converted into heat/thermal energy or electrical energy. Easily adaptable to industrial, commercial and domestic use, solar energy is considered to be the most abundant clean source of renewable energy.
To generate electricity, solar energy can be harnessed with the help of solar PV (Photovoltaic) cells. These cells generate Direct Current (DC) which is then passed through an inverter, converting it into Alternating Current (AC) – which can be used to power all sorts of electrical devices, machines and equipment.
Solar Heating and Cooling (SHC) and Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) both harness thermal energy from solar energy, which is then used to heat water or air, or to produce steam and turn traditional turbines to produce electricity, respectively.
5 Benefits Of Switching To Solar Energy
Here’s a list of some of the benefits of switching to solar power:
- Long-Lasting: Solar energy is highly reliable. The best solar energy systems are designed to last for at least 25 years. This means that once you have installed solar panels on your property, you can enjoy years of free solar electricity. This also means that you save money in the long term.
- Good for the Environment: If you are looking for a good way to reduce your carbon footprint, it is highly recommended that you start using solar energy. Unlike traditional energy sources, solar energy is renewable and doesn’t rely on the burning of any fossil fuels like natural gas and coal.
- Promoting Energy Independence: Solar power systems go a long way toward helping homeowners and businesses become energy independent. Simply put, you can end your reliance on the electricity grid if you are able to produce all the energy you need using your own solar power generation system.
- Reduced Electricity Loss: The transmission of electricity from power stations to end-users results in substantial power losses. Fortunately, the installation of solar power systems for businesses and homes translates into the creation of small power plants – which eliminate the need for long-distance power transmission, and the associated power losses.
- Promoting Use of Underutilised Land: Today, expansive solar farms are being established on patches of unused land. This leads to the generation of great value from previously underutilised land.
Things To Consider Before Switching To Solar Energy
- Cost of the solar energy production set-up
- How long you intend to live in your house so you can ensure that you break even at the very least
- Your home’s energy requirements
- Roof type – some roofs may be unsuitable for the installation of solar panels
- Solar power system maintenance and warranties
Is Solar Energy For You?
If you live in an area that supports optimal production of solar power, then solar energy is definitely for you! It’s hard to argue against solar power. This is simply because it is an efficient, renewable source of clean energy that also lowers your monthly energy bills.
The sun is an unlimited source of energy. Solar energy can be used to power residential, commercial and even industrial operations. To ensure that you get the most out of your solar energy system, it is recommended that you consider a few important factors before having it installed.
Switch To Solar Energy
Macedon Ranges Solar Power is the premier installer of solar panels in the region. We are approved and accredited by the Clean Energy Council. If you have been thinking about switching to solar, contact us for more information on this awesome source of renewable energy.
Please give us a call today on 1300 693 113 or make an enquiry.