Are you looking for a way to reduce your electricity bill? If so, purchasing some solar panels and investing in renewable energy is one of the best decisions you can make. Solar energy is eco-friendly and has plenty of benefits to offer your business and home. Perhaps the best part is that the energy it supplies is free and renewable.
What Is Solar Energy?
Solar energy can be defined as radiant heat and light from the sun that is harnessed with different technologies to generate power. Solar energy is a clean renewable energy source. In addition, producing power with solar energy is a more affordable and greener alternative to fossil fuels.
Solar technology utilises the energy from the sun to power homes and businesses. Installing technologies that harness solar energy – like solar panels – is cost-effective and straightforward.
Benefits Of Solar Energy
Solar energy has multiple benefits. Here are a few benefits of solar energy:
- Can be used everywhere: Solar energy can be installed everywhere provided there is sunshine. Several regions worldwide have no access to electricity, so this would be quite useful. If solar systems are deployed to these remote regions, it could significantly improve people’s lives.
- Reduced energy bills: With solar energy, you get to save on your energy bill. You will use less of your utility supplier’s energy, which translates to lower energy bills. A 100kw solar system can be quite a worthwhile investment.
- Job creation: The solar energy industry also creates more job opportunities for individuals. Solar power is being heavily adopted across the world and is one of the worlds leading industries when it comes to employment.
- Eco-friendly: Solar energy is a greener energy source and has a minimal negative impact on the environment. Their production creates no noise. It does not pollute the water or air and only needs little water to maintain.
7 Solar Energy Facts
While solar energy has been around for some time, most people are still unfamiliar with the concept. Here are a couple of solar energy facts.
1. Solar power plants can operate for over 40 years: This is perhaps the most interesting fact about solar. The power plant is backed by a power purchase agreement that lasts 20 to 25 years when it is built. However, this doesn’t render the plant useless after that period.
The infrastructure around the power plant is quite valuable. Once the site is found and the infrastructure built, solar power plants can operate for up to 40 years and more.
2. Solar energy is old: While it seems like a new concept, solar energy was discovered in 1839 by Alexandre Edmond Becquerel. He discovered the photovoltaic effect of electricity generation with the sun as an energy source.
Later on, in 1941, Russell Ohl created solar cells. Now, there are both large and small scale solar farms worldwide, used for a range of functions in homes and businesses.
3. China has the largest solar farm: The largest solar farm worldwide is in Tengger Desert Solar Park, Ningxia. It covers 1,200km and can supply solar energy to 600,000 homes. However, there is ongoing work on larger solar projects in the United States, Egypt, and India.
4. Solar energy can be categorised as passive or active: Active solar technology refers to solar thermal collectors and photovoltaic panels that harness solar energy.
Passive solar technology includes orienting a space, favourably utilising sunlight or constructing rooms to enhance air circulation.
5. Solar is renewable and safe: Solar energy generation is 100% safe. The sun supplies the energy converted by the solar energy system. A PV system then supplies usable solar power.
A home or business using solar energy can become self-sustaining, meaning you will save significantly on utility bills.
6. Solar energy can be stored: Solar energy storage and transportation can be made possible when solar chemical processes are used as the source of chemical energy.
Thermal storage systems can store solar energy in the form of heat. They can do this using common materials with high specific heat like water, earth, and stone. It can also be stored in salt.
7. Solar power has an abundant energy source: The power generation of solar on earth is in abundance. Compared to most energy sources, solar power’s energy is abundant. An hour’s worth of sun hitting the earth can serve all of humanity for a whole year.
More people worldwide are embracing solar energy. It is more affordable than fossil fuels, and if you want to reduce your carbon footprint, it is an excellent choice. Besides, the installation process is straightforward, and the required maintenance is minimal.
Switch To Solar Energy!
Solar energy has plenty of benefits to offer, from being a greener option to helping you save on utility bills. Installing solar energy is the best decision you can make for your home or business.
With over 10 years experience in solar power installations, Macedon Ranges Solar Power is proud to be your local solar experts. We would be more than happy to come around and assess your home or commercial building for a quote that is tailored to your needs.
Please give us a call today on 1300 974 991 or make an enquiry.